Saturday, October 1, 2011

nü emo

I hold the belief that the way that you dress is in direct correlation with what you listen to (solid thesis no?). Music is my biggest inspiration in every aspect of life- it affects any art that I create, things I do, see, wear, people I connect with... Music has so many facets of inspiration that affect me both emotionally and intellectually, guiding me along my path of choosing who to be. Lately I've been listening to Sunny Day Real Estate and have become a believer of black-on-black clothing. Coincidence? Nope.

Emo used to be cool in a 90s underground shoegaze way, but its reputation was trashed by a bunch of those 'scene' types listening to My Chemical Romance. I mean, the term originally meant musicians with emotional, confessional lyrics- let's reinvent emo to mean what it meant in the first place- check out my mix (both new and old!) then give yourself a choppy haircut in your throes of teen angst.

Nü Emo [emo revival] MIX:

  • Seven- Sunny Day Real Estate
  • Parasite- Nick Drake
  • Whatever- Elliott Smith
  • Mistaken For Strangers- The National
  • Dead Shark- Liz Phair
  • Novelty- Joy Division
  • Honorable Mention- Fall Out Boy
  • Kale- Nerves Junior
  • Creep- Radiohead
  • Fireman- Jawbreaker
  • Shook Down- Yuck
  • You're With Stupid Now- Aimee Mann

[Freja being androgynous in Harper's Bazaar | Black on black- stringy hair optional |  Kim Noorda w. a turtleneck and chain | THE nu emo-cut via i-D mag | Long black skirt-yep, black sweater- check, pin straight hair-mhm via H&M mag | Crazy about YSL's minimalist Fall 2011- CHOKERS are rad |  Acne Fall 2011 minimalist and monochromatic | Prada Fall 2006- stained lips, that's all | Luella's use of Vans and creepers in her fall 2003 collection. This is how it's done.]

No comments:

Post a Comment