Wednesday, January 4, 2012

7 thangs David Cross can teach us for 2012

Let's look to comedian David Cross for some kind-of-new years resolutions. I've extrapolated from his wise words some tips to help me live my live from now on. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. THINK about it.

  1. Don't pigeonhole yourself by saying you're that kind of person or let certain things you believe in overwhelm your whole personality.
    "I hate bumper stickers, you can't sum anything up. All you do is paint yourself in some caricaturist corner."
  2. Record your ideas before you forget them. Or better yet just freewrite and then sort out what you're actually into later. Writers block doesn't exist.
    "I'll think of the idea and then I'll write something down, then within that there will be a joke or two which is the original thing which I thought was funny."
  3. Stop trying so damn hard. Do what you're into and who cares if anyone else is. Desparation is never funny.
    "It's not about trying to be funny all the time. It's more of a document that hopefully is funny."
  4. Try reading the bible if you already haven't. It's probably the most referenced piece of writing in our culture today. Plus it's apparently a good read..
    "The Bible is the funniest book I have ever read. It's so funny! Right in the first six pages, it's funny!"
  5. Know what's up in the world. Read the telegraph uk site or n + 1
    "Occasionally I'll watch Fox News for as long as I can tolerate it, or CNN. I'll watch until I get nfuriated, but you got to know what they're talking about and what they're not talking about."
  6. Give up on depressing reality shows...or television in general. If you're feeling uncreative, I can give you one good reason why that might be (hint: it was what I casually mentioned before). I'm always down to watch tv online though- you can choose when you want to watch it, what exactly you want to watch, AND no commercials. Win win.
    "(on the Simple Life) Just vile people; awful human beings. Who get away with anything, because they're rich. I, right then, vowed that I would retain this image everytime I hear George Bush say 'the terrorists hate our freedom.' You know what? I hate our freedom. Little ol' me, an American! I hate it! That's all we've done with it? We...are...awful.
  7. Finally, if you're ever feeling bad, put some D. Cross on your iPod and go for a walk. You'll feel a ton better. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment