Monday, May 2, 2011

It Ain't Gonna Save Me

This song has been on constant repeat in my mind today. Walking to school, watching presentations, eating my applesauce, more presentations, yep, always in my head. I heard about Jay Reatard when I read Deerhunter's darkly fascinating Halcyon Digest cd pamphlet that revealed he was the inspiration for one of their songs.  "Where Do You Go When You Sleep" is about Jay's death from cocaine poisoning while sleeping in January 2010. I'm actually surprised I hadn't heard about him before, seeing as he's the Garage Rock King. He has this sweet faux-british accent like that of Garage Rock Pope Rob Pollard of Guided By Voices. I'm thinking if I want any success in the Garage Rock industry I'll need to start seriously considering said vocal affectation.

True Brit Jamie T.'s video for "Sticks and Stones" reminds me a lot of this one; featuring clowns, smoke, rebellion, and an uptempo 'runnin with believaaahs' beat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment