Saturday, May 7, 2011

illustrator Frank Hoehne

Frank Hoehne's illustration style rules-  filled with busy, crude expressive doodles and frantic typography that I can't help but feel overwhelmed in where to look first. Hoehne's illustrations recall my personal debate on the value of text in artwork- does it blatantly convey the themes of a literal artist or does it emphasize messages within works just by being text? The times that I have used text in illustration, I found myself getting irritated when the viewer attempted to read aloud every word, most of which I didn't necessarily intend to be read.

This makes me think of the argument that nothing in art is accidental, but I think the viewer of art has almost as much power as the artist, in the sense that they can take whatever they want out of any given work. When you put text into art, it then becomes a visual language, not necessarily literal, meaning what the letters spell out cannot be interpreted purely by what it says.

I find it a bit ironic with the 1st image of Hoehne's work below how the text is in German (which I don't understand), leading me to interpret the ideas not as text and images separately, but as visual equals.

His work for Brigitte | Hoehne's Berlin apartment/studio which I am verrrry jealous of. Look at that gallery on his wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment