Monday, February 21, 2011

Gone Too Soon

It's quite misleading when there's sunshine streaming in the window and clear blue skies in view from bed but then when you get up you realize that there is still a significant amount of icky dirty snow covering the grass. Nonetheless I arose 100% ready for Spring...but not necessarily for Spring 2011. Looking at past ElleGirl (rip) issues I was reminiscing on how awesome the Spring 2006 season was. I feel more fulfilled in seeking sartorial queus from past seasons as opposed to constantly thinking about the next trends or seasons out of reach. I also find that looking at past seasons makes me think of the ideas instead of the clothes; meaning the styling of certain pieces together, the color combinations, or cultural references the designer had in mind.

Luella (rip) Spring 2006 on the other hand is EXTREMELY relevant. Despite being panned by critics for being "too young"* (at least for the high price points), this collection recieves top scores from a 17-year-old and is totally right for right now. For the record I'm not saying that I hate all new trends. That's not it at all! I just think that a combination of the past, present, and future is what it takes to not be a trend slave** and remain original with your soul intact.

SEQUINS:   Chunky paillettes look awesome with layering. Remember t-shirts over long sleeves? This is how it's done.

BROGUES: Worn without socks, these shoes go well with all three looks..although I'm really into the all white look to the right (hello spring 2011 trend!)

SUSPENDERS: Never would I have thought that suspenders could look kinda cool..again, this is how you do it RIIIGHT! Also diggin the hotpants with the cardi- all about the juxtaposition!

No comments:

Post a Comment