Monday, May 28, 2012

on skateboarding as a girl

*Flashback to this time last year..thought I'd bring this post back.

Bought a cruiser board in Venice Beach when we were there and then proceeded to stress injure my ankle. Seeing photos of crazy badass teens defying gravity in an urban jungle keeps me motivated despite having a 'pimp limp.' I keep telling myself it makes me a more intriguing character...

While on my California travels, I also bought an 'all girl skateboarding zine' called Escape Route at Needles and Pens in San Francisco. This publication describes itself as "a zine that seeks to empower young girls & women to grow into strong, confident leaders who promote and implement social equity via skateboarding. The zine is made by female skateboarders and ALL content is submitted by female skateboarders." I really liked it and was definitely inspired to practise practise practise so as to not live in fear of being a poseur. I must say I was a teensie bit scarred from walking back from Maui & Sons to the hotel in Santa Monica carrying this new skateboard when this bohemian skater passes by me and says "girl you gotta ride that thing!" I swear I would have been, had I not been wearing flip-flops.

Scans from this Tokion sports issue from 2000.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment