Friday, August 7, 2020

The Devil Wears Prada: 2000s Fashion Predictions

The Devil Wears Prada (2006) is one of the only DVDs I still own. Why? Because I could watch it over and over again and not get bored. Each time I watch it, I notice more and more stylish details in the Vogue-inspired "Runway" world.

Y2K/early 2000s fashion is very "hot" right now, but I predict that these trends will start moving away from typical Paris Hilton, Bratz, Juicy Couture style and move towards trends we saw in the later 2000s. Films like The Devil Wears Prada, shows like Gossip Girl, and the O.C., and reality shows like the Hills and the City are excellent resources in seeing the kind of clothes that were de rigeur in the late 2000s/early 2010s. I've also been looking to street style shots of celebrities who were styled by Rachel Zoe, like Lindsay Lohan, Nicole Richie, and Mischa Barton for late 2000s fashion inspiration. These are the clothes and accessories I always admired and coveted, but was just a kid and couldn't afford any of what I saw in Teen Vogue at the time. 
 
What's hilarious is that I'm an adult woman now and still can't stop thinking about the clothes in the Devil Wears Prada! The opening credits montage made me fully believe that this is what it would be like to get ready in the morning. Re-watching the film as an adult made me realize that most women in the world are actually like Andie Sachs, and what I got out of the film this time 'round was that it's super unrealistic to be like these fancy fashion ladies. I guess The Devil Wears Prada is another casualty of what I refer to as the Mean Girls syndrome, where the irony Tina Fey worked so hard on conveying was lost on the majority of its teen girl audience, who now wanted more than anything to be like a Plastic and saw Regina George as being an aspirational character. 
 
Anyway, even after my epiphany over the true meaning of The Devil Wears Prada, I'm still a person who's into fashion and still can't get over the styling in the film. In this post, I wanted to break down a few specific pieces I noticed while watching this time around and see if I could find these now vintage items on eBay.
  1.  The tweed hat & Chanel necklaces Andie wears while walking home from Miranda's house after she accidentally went upstairs with "The Book"- FOUND: The tweed hat is Chanel as well! Found on eBay for $700 (LOL) and the pearl necklace is actually still pretty popular, I found a few similar ones on eBay for around $1,000.
  2. The Marc Jacobs bag that Andie gifts her friend over drinks- FOUND: It's called the "Stella" bag. I found different color ways of the bag  on eBay for around $100.
  3. The Chanel sunglasses Andie wears on her head while trying to track down the Harry Potter manuscript for the twins- Sort of found...a similar style is featured in one of their eye wear campaigns.
  4. Obviously: the Chanel boots- FOUND: on the Chanel fall 2004 runway. Similar styles on eBay were around $2,000.
  5. "The first pair of Jimmy Choo" pumps- FOUND: $50 on eBay
  6. The pink dress that Miranda is picking out a turquoise belt to wrap around- Still a mystery!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment